By ANI | ANI – Fri, Jan 28 11:49 AM IST
Senior officials from the Inter Service Intelligence (ISI) and the Pakistan Army said in interviews with Gulf News that they “have evidence” of Indian involvement in the terrorist attacks in Karachi and Lahore.
A senior ISI official alleged that India attempts to “destabilise Pakistan” by supporting militant groups in Karachi by “funds and arms”.
Karachi, the economic hub of the country, has witnessed dozens of attacks and target killings over the past few years. Pakistani officials say the attacks, especially those on shrines, were aimed at “fomenting sedition among religious communities” to destabilise the country.
“India is playing a dangerous game” in Karachi, a top ISI official was quoted as saying on the condition of anonymity. He said his agency had “evidence” that Indian intelligence was arming and funding “extremist elements” to weaken their neighbour.
“People are getting money from India to create problems for Pakistan in Karachi” and other areas, he stressed, adding, “India should understand that it will be affected most if Pakistan is destabilised.”
The Pakistan Army’s official spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said India realises that Pakistan’s military is “over-stretched” because of extensive anti-terror operations in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
“Therefore, they support elements that engage in terrorist campaign on our urban cities,” he added.
Abbas also said India was being suspected of arming and funding extremist elements, and even distributing ‘anti-Pakistan hate literature’ in the Pakistani province of Balochistan, which borders Afghanistan. (ANI)
- You: Army vetoed sending ISI chief to India (nation.com.pk)
- Mumbai terror attack-Pak.Govt.has no control over ISI-US-Wiki leaks.1/3. (ramanan50.wordpress.com)
- My Perception on The Karachi Society (socyberty.com)
- Pakistan’s Godfather of the Taliban dies (guardian.co.uk)
- Gang violence ignites chaos in Karachi (theglobeandmail.com)
- Pakistan has “disastrous year” for human rights in 2010: HRW (reuters.com)
- Elements in ISI supporting terrorists: U.S. (nowpublic.com)
- Social Policy Karachi (socyberty.com)
- Pak Army overruled proposal to send Pasha to India post 26/11 – The Hindu (news.google.com)
- US embassy cables: After Mumbai, Delhi diplomats question ISI involvement (guardian.co.uk)