By DPA | IANS – Fri, Mar 25, 2011 2:30 PM IST
About 74 people died and 111 were injured in Tarli and Tachilek towns, near the Myanmar-Thai border in Myanmar’s Shan state, and destroyed 244 houses, nine government offices and 14 Buddhist monasteries, government-run Myanmar television reported.
The epicentre of the earthquake was about 50 km north of Tachilek, a border town 680 km north of Bangkok.
Myanmar Minister for Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement Maung Maung Shwe was reportedly en route to the quake-hit area for an assessment tour.
The Myanmar Red Cross and Crescent Society has dispatched 1,000 relief packages to the area, but access to the region is difficult.
‘It takes around four days to reach the affected area by car from Yangon and there are flights twice a week into Tachilek’s airport,’ aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres said in a statement.
There were no reports on casualties in Yangon and Naypyitaw, Myanmar’s former and current capitals, respectively.
The earthquake struck at 8.25 p.m. (1355 GMT) Thursday, with its epicentre in northeast Myanmar, 589 km northeast of Yangon, and 772 km north of Bangkok, according to the US Geological Survey.
In Chiang Rai, Thailand, Hong Khamping, 55, died when a concrete wall in her home collapsed on top of her. The wall was poorly constructed, Thai officials said.
‘There were no other deaths or injuries in northern Thailand,’ said Chiatha Mositrat, head of the Chiang Rai Disaster Prevention Office.
Tourists in Chiang Rai, including members of the Syrian triathlon team, evacuated their hotel rooms for several hours.
- You: Earthquake kills 27 in Myanmar, one in Thailand (earthtimes.org)
- You: Rescuers struggle in quake-hit Myanmar (france24.com)
- Quake kills 74 in Myanmar as aftershock rattles Thailand (reuters.com)
- Intensity 6.8 Earthquake Kills 50 in Myanmar (ricojr2010.wordpress.com)
- At least 50 dead in Myanmar after quake: official (reuters.com)
- Myanmar Earthquake Kills 74 (huffingtonpost.com)
- At least 10 killed in 7.0-magnitude quake in Myanmar – Xinhua (news.google.com)
- Rescuers struggle in quake-hit Myanmar (calgaryherald.com)
- Scores Left Dead by Major Quake in Myanmar – New York Times (news.google.com)
- Quake kills 74 in Myanmar, aftershock rattles Thailand (scientificamerican.com)