US has no plans to ‘assassinate’ Gaddafi, Obama tells lawmakers
Posted by Admin on March 27, 2011
By ANI | ANI – Sat, Mar 26, 2011 11:46 AM IST
Washington, Mar 26 (ANI): US President Barack Obama has told congressional leaders that the US military would not be used to assassinate Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, sources familiar with Friday’s briefing at the White House have said.
“There was a discussion of how we have other ways of regime change. It’s not our role to do anything at this point from a kinetic point of view. It is our goal for regime change, but we’re not going to do it from a kinetic point of view,” Politico quoted Maryland Representative Dutch Ruppersberger, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, as saying.
Another source briefed on the one-hour meeting confirmed that claim, saying: “It’s not just military efforts that can force his removal.”
The president, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Mike Mullen and Gen. Carter Ham, commander of U.S. Africa Command, were among the administration officials briefing lawmakers involved in the Friday meeting and conference call.
Although many lawmakers have complained against Obama’s decision to strike Libyan defenses in support of a “no-fly” zone without prior congressional approval, Ruppersberger praised Obama’s handling of the situation.
“He took decisive action. He took action that was focused, and he did it pursuant to a world coalition,” Ruppersberger added.
Earlier, Arizona senator John Mccain while supporting the President’s decision to intervene militarily in Libya, remained concerned that the current efforts might not be enough to avoid a ‘stalemate and accomplish the US objective of forcing Gaddafi to leave power’.
- Newly taciturn president decides maybe he should say something about Libya after all (hotair.com)
- Obama: We won’t kill kadhafi… (politico.com)
- Libya: Strikes Help Rebels Retake Ajdabiyah (time.com)
- War on Libya and Control of The Mediterranean (revolutionizingawareness.com)
- Libya: Rebels Regain Ajdabiyah After Strikes (time.com)
- Who are the Libyan Freedom Fighters and Their Patrons? (revolutionizingawareness.com)
- Libyan rebels regain besieged city of Ajdabiya (independent.co.uk)
- Libya Rebels Seize Momentum, Take Back Key Oil Town (huffingtonpost.com)
- ‘We’re succeeding in Libya’ says Barack Obama as rebels re-take key city of Ajdabiyah (dailymail.co.uk)
- Obama seeks to assure lawmakers on Libya strategy (reuters.com)
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.