Revolutionizing Awareness

helping humanity, make choices, more so through awareness, than ignorance

Posts Tagged ‘Nigeria’

Indian, 161 others die in Mumbai-style Nigeria terror

Posted by Admin on January 24, 2012

http://in.news.yahoo.com/indian-161-others-die-mumbai-style-nigeria-terror-113031590.html

By Indo Asian News Service | IANS India Private Limited – 12 hours ago

Abuja, Jan 22 (IANS) An Indian was among 162 people killed as heavily armed Islamists carried out a deadly Mumbai-style terror attack in Nigeria‘s second largest city Kano, media reports and Indian officials said Sunday.

Six other Indians, including two children, were wounded and panic gripped the Indian community as a small group of terrorists stormed Kano, split themselves into smaller groups and went on a killing spree Friday evening.

Kevalkumar Kalidas Rajput, 23, who hailed from Gujarat and worked for Kano-based company Relchem since March 2011, was killed, the Indian High Commission in Nigeria said.

He and two Nepali colleagues Hari Prasad Bhusal and Raj Singh died when their car apparently entered a scene of hostilities, the mission said in a statement.

The six Indians from two families were injured because of falling shrapnel and debris. They were taken to hospitals.

Although uneasy calm returned to Kano Sunday, the city of nine million was devastated. Smoke still billowed from buildings that caught fire after being bomb attacked.

The well-planned savagery was blamed on an Islamist group with known ties with Al Qaeda. It targeted security forces in Kano in northern Nigeria.

The main targets were government sites including police stations, the passport office, the state security headquarter and the immigration office — all symbols of authority in religiously-divided Nigeria.

The Indian community in Nigeria is estimated to be 35,000-strong. Most Indians in the country are well-off and enjoy non-controversial existence.

Nigeria is India’s largest trading partner in Africa. Bilateral annual trade exceeded $8.7 billion in 2009-10.

Ashish Kumar Verma, an Indian, told Times Now from Kano that the attackers were about 20 in number and “targetted different places in the city”.

“They blew up police headquarter, passport office… also attacked the IG house,” he said. He said Indians were trying to get out of Kano.

Another Indian, T. Pragnesh, too spoke of the horror. He said the Indian Association in Kano was trying to determine if more people had been killed or wounded.

“We have 162 bodies in the morgue,” a visibly distraught official said at Kano’s main morgue.

The wounded included foreigners from an area home to many expatriates, particularly Lebanese and Indians.

BBC reported that hospitals were overwhelmed with the dead and injured.

The attack left Kano residents terrorized and shocked, some of whom wandered the streets to look for loved ones. Many refused to leave their homes fearing more attacks.

“We don’t know what’s going to happen next, no one thought this would ever happen here. There’s despair,” said Faruk Mohammed.

CNN quoted him as saying that there were at least 25 explosions. “Then it went deathly quiet.”

A 24-hour curfew was declared in Kano, where search and rescue operations were underway for the killers.

Nigeria closed its borders with neighbouring Cameroon and Niger, claiming these countries allowed the militants to move freely into Nigeria, reported RIA Novosti.

Boko Haram, the group behind the attack, has been seeking to impose Sharia law in Nigeria, divided into dominantly Christian south and a largely Muslim north.

Boko Haram colloquially translates into “Western education is sin”.

It was formed in 2002 by preacher Mohammad Yusuf. In 2009, Yusuf was arrested and died in police custody. The death led the group to begin its attacks on police stations.

Boko Haram spokesperson Abul Qaqa said the attacks were in response to the refusal of the Kano state government to release fellow terrorists who had been arrested.

Hundreds of Nigerian troops have been deployed at major streets in Kano to enhance security, reported Xinhua.

President Goodluck Jonathan said that the perpetrators would “face the full wrath of the law”.

Advertisements

Posted in India Forgotten | Tagged: , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Indian, 161 others die in Mumbai-style Nigeria terror

Ascension Heads-Up 11.11.2011 A.D

Posted by Admin on November 7, 2011

Note from the Author of this post –

Greetings to all those who read this.

It is imperative we understand the significance of dates with the same number repeating like 09.09.2009 A.D and especially the above date as well.

Although I much despise the Gregorian time-scale calendar adopted or rather enforced across the world as a by product of a global imperialism, it is nonetheless woven into the fabric of our perceived reality. What this means is that these dates do matter individually and collectively to our species across the globe, regardless of who or where you may be.

Having stated that I wish to strongly suggest to one and all to prepare themselves for the upcoming date. This is required at a physical, dimensional, etheric, astral and energetic level. When I say prepare, it means not just to receive but to offer as well. Most of you will be informed duly at the astral level during your state of sleep but make no mistake, we are at war here with the opposite polarity to bring Truth and Light to all who seek and shall accept it. So we must give it our best effort because this energetic date is also a portal and a Stargate opening as well as the incoming wave of a new energy band and frequency from the Central Sun as well as the awakening of yet another important crystal within the surface of this planet.

This is stronger than the one to proceed in 2012 A.D and is linked to some of the other crystals which are already active. Basically we pulled off a huge success with the 09.09.2009 A.D activation process. That definitely ensured an Atlantean scenario of the end times would not prevail yet again.

So good luck to all of you and thank yourself for that which you wish to receive and share and remember it isn’t over till its over. The so called dark forces have been suffering losses of control and power but they are not yet finished. In fact they are trying to start this ancient supercomputer in the crust of our planet. I don’t know if it is the same as that of the one belonging to the Annunaki in the ‘World of Shadows” under Nigeria, geographically but the intentions and consequence are alike.

Every time we entered a cycle where the precession of the equinoxes and a cycle of ‘yugas’ or ages of evolution coincided with the overall raise in the consciousness of the prevailing sentient species on this planet, the regressive E.Ts would time the computer to transmit waves that would degrade or devlove our DNA as well as causing a physical and magnetic pole shift on a cataclysmic scale.

This time a lot of sacrifices and effort have been put in to ensure it does not repeat along with some intelligent planning of course.

The above is only a heads up and treat it like one. Not as gossip or rumour or expecting something magical to happen on any date or expecting a pay cheque in front of your doorstep any day or getting afraid and sending out etheric distortions into the Earth’s atmosphere with your anxiety.

Be proud and bold and remember that you we are all Lions, always have been and so walk everyday majestically, fully basking in the glory of who you are, yet not tripping on the veil of grandeur and illusion and roar, roar aloud for we it is who decide what and how we want to exist and no other influence whatsoever.

Thank you.

With Love and Light,

Unknown Soldier

Posted in The Esoteric Agenda of Humanity | Tagged: , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Ascension Heads-Up 11.11.2011 A.D

Bush Sr., James Baker Instrumental in Getting Nigeria to Drop Bribery Charges Against Cheney

Posted by Admin on December 26, 2010

Global Research, December 18, 2010

Former President George H.W. Bush and ex-Secretary of State James Baker were part of a negotiating team that convinced Nigerian government officials to drop bribery charges against Dick Cheney and Halliburton, the oil services firm he led prior to becoming vice president.

Bush and Baker, whose law firm was hired by Halliburton in 2004 to handle the bribery allegations, participated in conference call discussions with senior Nigerian government officials, including the country’s attorney general, Mohammed Adoke, last weekend on behalf of Cheney in an attempt to work out a settlement, according to a report published by an African news agency.

The negotiations took place in London and included Halliburton represenatives.

On Friday, Femi Babafemi, a spokesman for Nigeria’s Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the agency that filed the 16-count indictment last week, said the case against Cheney, Halliburton and several other current and former executives has been “formally dropped.”

Earlier this week, Babafemi said Halliburton agreed during negotiation talks to a “plea bargain” and to “pay $250 million in fines in lieu of prosecution.” He said the Nigerian government accepted the terms of the settlement.

Last week, after the indictment was filed in Abuja, Nigeria’s capitol, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said, “We do not believe that there will be a basis for further action (requiring Cheney to respond to the charges), but we will look into it.”

Moreover, Johnnie Carson, the US Assistant Secretary, Bureau of African Affairstold reporters during a conference call last week that the US government was closely following the case against Cheney and had already engaged in discussions about it with Nigerian authorities.

As Truthout previously reported, the charges revolve around $180 million in bribes executives who worked for Halliburton’s former subsidiary, Kellogg, Brown & Root (KBR) paid to Nigerian government officials between 1994 and 2004 in exchange for $6 billion in construction contracts for the Bonny Island natural gas liquefaction plant. Nigeria is Africa’s largest crude oil producer. [Click here for a complete timeline.]

KBR, which also has handled lucrative US government support contracts for US troops in Iraq and elsewhere, was spun off from Halliburton in 2007 into a separate company. Nigerian officials had also charged KBR in the bribery case.

The bribes allegedly went to the notoriously corrupt Nigerian dictator Sani Abacha and some of his subordinates and were allegedly laundered through UK lawyer Jeffrey Tesler, who served as a consultant to KBR after it was formed in a 1998 merger that Cheney engineered between Halliburton and Dresser Industries. Tesler was hired in 1995 as an agent of a four-company joint venture that was awarded four engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts by Nigeria LNG Ltd., (NLNG). Tesler was indicted last year by the Department of Justice, which has been conducting its own probe into the matter, and he is fighting extradition to the US.

Baker’s alleged involvement in the settlement talks is not surprising given that his law firm, Baker Botts, was hired by Halliburton in 2004 to conduct an internal probe into the bribery scandal. During the investigation, James Doty, a partner at Baker Botts who led the probe, “discovered” notes written by former KBR employees indicating the firm “may” have bribed Nigerian government officials in exchange for lucrative contracts. Doty, served as general counsel of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) under Bush senior.

More recently, the SEC had questioned Cheney during its two-year-long probe of Halliburton’s accounting irregularities and concluded that he should not be held responsible for what went on behind the scenes at the company he ran between 1995 and 2000.

Truthout was unable to reach spokespeople for Bush and Baker. A Halliburton spokesperson declined to comment.

The payment to the Nigerian government will bring an immediate end to the bribery and corruption charges against Halliburton, Cheney and several of the company’s current and former executives.

Babafemi added that the payment consists of $120 million in penalties and the repatriation of $130 million “trapped in Switzerland,” and he expects Adoke to approve of the deal as early as today.

Earlier this month, the Justice Department announced that Tesler’s associate, Wojciech J. Chodan, the former vice president to KBR’s UK subsidiary, pleaded guilty to violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) for in his role in the bribery scandal.

Chodan, who was extradited to the United States from England, is scheduled to be sentenced in February and faces a maximum five years in federal prison.

Truthout sustains itself through tax-deductible donations from our readers. Please make a contribution today to keep truly independent journalism strong!

Albert “Jack” Stanley, who Cheney had named chief executive of KBR in 1998, was also named in the indictment filed by Nigerian anti-corruption officials. Charges against him have also been dropped.

Stanley was a close associate of Cheney’s. The former vice president promoted him in 1998 to head KBR and told the Middle East Economic Digest in 1999 that having Stanley at the helm of the Halliburton subsidiary “has helped us tremendously.”

In September 2008, Stanley pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit wire and mail fraud to settle charges related to a separate kickback scheme and for conspiring to violate FCPA in connection with bribery case.

According to the DOJ’s plea agreement, Stanley started paying bribes in 1995, the year Cheney was named chief executive of the corporation, and ended when Stanley was fired in 2004.  Stanley faces seven years in prison and nearly $11 million in restitution payments. He remains free on bail pending a sentencing hearing scheduled for January.

Last year, KBR pleaded guilty to violating FCPA and admitted that it paid $180 million in “consulting fees” to Tesler and a Japanese trading company for use in bribing Nigerian government officials. KBR paid a $402 million fine and Halliburton paid $177 million in civil penalties as part of its plea deal, which was handled by Baker’s law firm.

Nigerians Condemn Settlement

While Nigeria government officials may be satisfied with the settlement agreement, the same cannot be said for some of the country’s citizens and activists who had hoped to see the former vice president respond to the charges.

“I would have loved to see Dick Cheney in chains in our court and facing justice in our prisons,” said Celestine AkpoBari, program officer at Social Action Nigeria. “That would have been a very big point that would have lifted Nigeria out of its woes.”

In a statement, Emmanuel Ulayi, executive director of the Civic Duties Awareness Initiative (CIDAI), an organization that ensures “Nigerians adhere to their civic responsibilities, comdemned the decision.

Uliya said the settlement is evidence that “the fight against corruption is dead and have never been real in Nigeria.” He said if the Nigerian government was serious about rooting out corruption “it would not have reach this kind of understanding.”

Owei Lakemfa, a columnist for Nigeria’s Daily Vanguard, said Friday Cheney “is an international crook who should be in jail in his country, Iraq, Netherlands, Afghanistan, Britain, Azerbaijan or in Nigeria…But unfortunately, the scales of justice are not balanced, so he will escape justice with his loot

Global Research Articles by Jason Leopold

Posted in Geo-Politics | Tagged: , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Bush Sr., James Baker Instrumental in Getting Nigeria to Drop Bribery Charges Against Cheney